Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cupcakes.

So in a previous post, I think it was like two weeks ago, I mentioned that I was baking some cupcakes for a good friends farewell picnic/catch up thing before she leaves. I'm going to miss her lots but I am flying out to see her over New Years.

The cupcakes I made were Rainbow Marshmallow with strawberry butter cream, Raspberry again with strawberry butter cream and finally Chocolate Mint.

The plate in the top left corner is my friend Tara's famous bread dip....absolutely amazing....*drool*...its gets gobbled up every time she brings it out.

These lovelies are the Rainbow Marshmallow cupcakes, in the photo above they are the ones that are topped with skittles! To get this effect I just divided the plain cupcakes mixture into four bowls and then added food colouring to make whatever colours I wanted. They looked really fun and I will definetly be making them again sometime soon. When you bite into them, there's a burst of colour. These were the first batch I made, they overflowed a lil' bit. But I have finally worked out the temperature to get the perfect cupcake top.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the Raspberry cupcakes, but they tasted delicious. When I cooked them though they did sink a little in the cases...I'm not too sure why that was. In a couple I put a couple of chopped up White Chocolate raspberry bullets. It was good, but they were a bit chewy.



And finally....These are the Chocolate Mint cupcakes. With a Choc Mint slice biscuit in each! Topped with mint butter cream and crushed Aero chocolate. These one's had the perfect top...finally! I put the biscuit half way through the cupcake but for some reason it floated to nearly the top of the cake.

For all these cupcakes I used my go-to recipe, which I have used since I was like 10. You cook them at 180C, in my oven anyway. In the book it says 220C, but that causes them to not have the perfect cupcake top. So cook them slower.

2 eggs
60g butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk, sometimes a little extra
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour

Place all in a bowl and mix using mixmaster. Place in cupcake cases and then bake for 10-20 minutes (depending on oven) or until golden brown. 

Rainbow Marshmallow: Separated normal mix and then added food colouring.

Raspberry: Placed a handful or raspberries in a bowl and heated in the microwave for about 20 seconds and then added some icing sugar, stir and it makes a raspberry sauce. I stirred that through the cupcake mix.

Chocolate Mint: For this I took a handful of chocolate and melted it and then stirred through the micture. I think I may have added a lil' bit of cocoa.

That it for me,
XOXO
Anika

1 comment: